Welcome

The first time I set foot in a martial arts school, I was terrified. As a natural born klutz, I was certain that my trial attempt at karate could have only one outcome; me, making a complete fool of myself. My sensei teases me about “sneaking into the school” to this day. In most of my life’s activities, I had simply been a nearly invisible participant. And, quite truthfully, I was usually content with that. I almost didn’t notice the internal changes that were taking place as I progressed in my chosen art. As it turned out, sticking with karate was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

The internal benefits of martial arts are innumerable, and something that every person deserves to experience. But personal growth aside, I believe that everyone – women especially – deserves a basic knowledge of self-defense. Unfortunately we live in a world where people are not always good, and innocent people are often victims of violent and horrific crime.

Also unfortunate is the fact that, in many cases, these crimes were successful simply because the victim froze, rather than fighting back. That is the main advantage a martial artist has over someone with no training. Our minds are conditioned not to freeze in threatening situations. Self defense has little to do with the flashy, complicated techniques that the martial artists of the movies usually display.

That is the goal of this blog; to give readers some knowledge that they can use to protect themselves in realistic scenarios. Sometimes all it takes is simple awareness and training your mind to react. The focus of this blog will be effective and basic defensive strategies against realistic attacks. I will also introduce the mindset you must adopt in order to defend yourself. And, of course, I will devote some time to other martial arts topics, such as internal benefits, lifestyle, meditation, etc… (After all, those are the things I love about martial arts!).

I hope to use this blog as a backbone for a future self-defense book, but most of all I hope that readers will gain knowledge that may protect them in the future! (Though I sincerely hope that nobody ever has to use anything they learn here.) I hope you find this blog interesting and useful, and that you enjoy reading and learning from it! I must ask though…please use caution should you decide to practice any of the techniques discussed here! These are real and effective self-defense techniques, and injury is a risk. These techniques should be used for self-defense only.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Your Body's Weapons

If you are like most people, you probably don’t carry a weapon in your back pocket (unless you have a concealed weapons permit). Fortunately, you don’t necessarily need a weapon to defend yourself. Your body is a marvelous creation with several built in weapons of its own.

Hands – Think about the ways an attacker might come at you. He can punch or slap you. He can grab you. Chances are that an attacker’s initial strike will involve his hands. Your hands can also be used to defend yourself. You can use them to block or to counter-attack. You can punch an attacker with your knuckles or strike with the bottom (heel) of your palm. You can strike with the blade of your hand (the famous karate chop). You can even use your fingers or wrists as effective weapons against an attacker. I will discuss some specific striking and blocking techniques in future posts.

Feet – Your legs are longer than your arms, so using your feet to defend yourself can give you greater reach and, in many cases, more power. This is especially true for women, who have a great deal more strength in their legs than in their arms. Your feet can help you reach targets such as the knees. Kicks can also help you keep attackers at a greater distance.

Knees – If an attacker has you stuck at close range (somewhere I hate to be), you can turn to your knees for help. You can knee an attacker in the groin, ribs, or even solar plexus if you can reach it. If you are lucky enough to hit a pressure point on your attacker’s thigh, a knee strike to that area can even deaden his leg and drop him to the ground. Knees are a great self-defense weapon. Research done by National Geographic found that knee strikes can generate the same force as a 30-mile-an-hour car crash. (If you have never watched National Geographic’s “Fight Science” I would highly recommend it.)

Elbows – The sharpest point on your body, your elbows make a fantastic close-range self-defense weapon. Striking your attacker in the temple or back of the skull can knock your attacker unconscious. Jabbing an elbow into his face will cause him to bleed (especially if you hit the nose) and may convince him to back off. At the very least, it can give you a moment to finish the fight or escape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment