Welcome

The first time I set foot in a martial arts school, I was terrified. As a natural born klutz, I was certain that my trial attempt at karate could have only one outcome; me, making a complete fool of myself. My sensei teases me about “sneaking into the school” to this day. In most of my life’s activities, I had simply been a nearly invisible participant. And, quite truthfully, I was usually content with that. I almost didn’t notice the internal changes that were taking place as I progressed in my chosen art. As it turned out, sticking with karate was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

The internal benefits of martial arts are innumerable, and something that every person deserves to experience. But personal growth aside, I believe that everyone – women especially – deserves a basic knowledge of self-defense. Unfortunately we live in a world where people are not always good, and innocent people are often victims of violent and horrific crime.

Also unfortunate is the fact that, in many cases, these crimes were successful simply because the victim froze, rather than fighting back. That is the main advantage a martial artist has over someone with no training. Our minds are conditioned not to freeze in threatening situations. Self defense has little to do with the flashy, complicated techniques that the martial artists of the movies usually display.

That is the goal of this blog; to give readers some knowledge that they can use to protect themselves in realistic scenarios. Sometimes all it takes is simple awareness and training your mind to react. The focus of this blog will be effective and basic defensive strategies against realistic attacks. I will also introduce the mindset you must adopt in order to defend yourself. And, of course, I will devote some time to other martial arts topics, such as internal benefits, lifestyle, meditation, etc… (After all, those are the things I love about martial arts!).

I hope to use this blog as a backbone for a future self-defense book, but most of all I hope that readers will gain knowledge that may protect them in the future! (Though I sincerely hope that nobody ever has to use anything they learn here.) I hope you find this blog interesting and useful, and that you enjoy reading and learning from it! I must ask though…please use caution should you decide to practice any of the techniques discussed here! These are real and effective self-defense techniques, and injury is a risk. These techniques should be used for self-defense only.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Three Rules of Self Defense (Part 2)

Rule #2 – Choose Your Targets Wisely

It doesn’t matter how many times you hit your attacker in the shoulder. It probably won’t do you any good. There are certain areas of the body that are weak and easier to injure. These are your targets.

Groin – As a girl growing up, I was told over and over again to hit a male attacker in the groin. It is true that this is a weak area of the male body that can be very painful when hit. My advice, however, is never to choose this as your first target unless nothing else is available. Why? It might be painful, but a strike to the groin simply makes some men angry. It isn’t enough to distract or disable them. Others even enjoy the benefits of a delayed pain reaction, which won’t help you in the slightest. Feel free to target the groin, but please don’t go there first unless it is the only target within your reach.

Nose – What is a better target? The nose. It is made up of tiny bones that are highly breakable. The nose, when broken will bleed profusely. Your attacker’s eyes will also tear up, making it difficult for him to see.


Eyes – I hate to overuse Karate Kid quotes (okay I really don’t), but the evil sensei in Karate Kid Part III was correct when he said “a man can’t see he can’t fight.” The eyes are a target that you can reach even if your back is to your opponent. Rake your fingernails across them or dig your thumbs into them. It will hurt your attacker (a lot) and make it difficult for him to continue.

Knees – My favorite. Is that mean? Maybe, but as a woman I know that my legs are stronger than my arms, and my side kick can do a ton of damage to a fragile knee joint. This is also a target that is easy reached from almost any position. Remember that knees bend only one way. Use your heel to kick the knee in any other direction and it will crumble. The joint may break, or it may not, but chances are your attacker will go to the ground, giving you a chance to finish the fight or escape.

Throat – Be careful with this. It is a great target, but an incredibly dangerous one to go after. You can damage your attacker’s airway or even rupture an artery. Both of these can kill your attacker, which is why I personally recommend reserving this target for times when all else seems to fail. You can reduce the damage you do by striking at the jaw line, just behind the ear. This can be disabling to your attacker without completely killing him.

Solar Plexus – Have you ever had the wind knocked out of you? Chances are you have. Remember how badly it hurt? Striking your attacker’s solar plexus (that soft spot where the ribs meet at the bottom of the rib cage) can make it difficult for him to breath and give you a chance to disable him further or attempt an escape.

Those are a few of the most obvious and easy-to-reach targets available to you in a self-defense situation. There are certainly others. Fingers are small and easily breakable (a useful target if an attacker has a grip on you from behind, a situation which will certainly be covered in a future post). Elbows, like knees, only bend in a single direction. Strikes to the temples or jaw bones can be painful or disabling, and can even knock an attacker unconscious. The back of the neck at the base of the skull is also an option.

The Bottom Line: Don’t waste time on useless targets. You might leave a few bruises here and there, but you probably won’t disrupt your attacker enough to escape. Target sensitive parts of the body that will help you get out of the situation. You may not have all of the above targets available to you at once, and it will be up to you to see what options you do have. A good rule of thumb is this: go for whatever you can reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment